I am always on the hunt for a good deal! I frequent thrift stores, dollar stores, and discount stores of all kinds! And yes, I will totally bust out the calculator on my phone to calculate the unit price of items and see if it’s the best value. When you think of the Dollar Store, you usually think it’s the most inexpensive place to shop. To be honest, sometimes you can actually find better unit prices on dollar store items at other stores, like Walmart or Target. So do your research! But I’ve compiled a list of some of the go-to items I find are best priced at the dollar store!
- Balloons – no extra charge for strings or inflation! This is the best deal on balloons, check them out for your next birthday party, graduation, or event!
- Name brand bars of soap – usually in a 2-pack, you can find them in different scents. Awesome deal!
- Baskets/organizations materials – Tidy up the house for a great price!
Here’s one idea of what you can to with them: Silverware Drawer Organization
- Birthday party décor – Not only do they have plates, forks, and cups, but also centerpieces, invitations, candles, and favors.
- Calendars – desk, wall, all varieties of calendars! For only $1! With kiosks popping up at the mall selling calendars for $20, this is an amazing deal! They have beaches, cars, dogs, and plenty more themed calendars!
You’ll have to see the calendars available at your local store, as they don’t have them shown on their website. As a bonus link here is the teacher supplies page: Get them here!
- Name-Brand Candy – much cheaper than the movie theater, right? Think: Easter, Christmas stocking stuffers, Halloween!
- Greeting cards – these can go for at least $3 a piece elsewhere. Most people don’t spend a lot of time reading these, and then they end up in the trash shortly afterward! So, why spend a fortune? At the dollar store they have both $1/each cards and 2/$1 cards.
See cards in store, but here are some invitations: Get them here!
- Holiday décor – Get ready for any holiday by stocking up here. Door hangars, table cloths, hooks, lights and ornaments for every occasion.
(This link is to the Christmas décor, since that’s the closest holiday, but they change seasonally, and carry products for Valentine’s Day, Easter, Halloween, and many more!)
- Shipping Materials (Envelopes/boxes/bubble mailers/tape) – I do a lot of selling on eBay and am often making runs up to the Dollar store for shipping materials! This would also be helpful for any gifts you’re mailing from afar!
- Giftbags/wrapping paper – I am totally guilty of reusing gift bags! I keep a tote of them under my bed; I have bags for all occasions. Even still, when I need a new one, I get it at the Dollar Store! They even have some smaller ones that come in 2-packs.
- Sandwich bags – we use these for lunches, but also for snacks, and keeping small items, like safety pins, together. So it’s really helpful that we can find these for a dollar a box! They have name-brand, off-brand, with or without zipper…lots of options!
- Liquid hand soap – They even have some of the bigger refill bottles (without the pump) as well!
- Soda (20 oz. bottles) – These are easily $1.89 at gas stations. Why not make a stop at the Dollar Store instead and save yourself almost 50%? Coke and Pepsi products, including water!
See selection in your local store, but here are some other sodas they offer: Get them here!
- Tissue packs – The have boxes as well as those smaller pocket packs. I always have one in my purse! I think it’s mom thing? Or maybe an allergy thing?
- Toothpaste/toothbrushes – We always try and keep a couple extra toothbrushes lying around. For a guest, in case yours gets old faster than you realized, or for cleaning purposes. You’ll easily spend $3 for a tube of toothpaste elsewhere!
- Travel coffee mugs – I am definitely one of those people who likes a little coffee with their sugar and cream. I need so much extra room, I can’t use regular sized mugs with my Keurig. So, even if I’m sitting at home with no plans to leave, I might be using a travel mug. You can find these for much more depending where else you go! Up to $20…no thanks! I’ll go to Dollar Tree!
- Food storage containers – multi-packs of reusable storage for a dollar! Can’t beat that price!
Check your local store (find it here) for even more awesome deals!